Jesus heals a man with a demon in Gerasenes
This week Imprint Church we were joined by guest speaker Mark Erickson, Associate Pastor at Bear Creek Community Church. Watch the sermon video below or download the podcast to learn more about the intricate story laid out in Mark 5:1-20.
- Re-read Mark 5:1-20. In what ways does this narrative display how awesome Jesus is?
- What can we learn about Jesus’ power and authority based on the demons’ response to his presence?
- The need the demoniac had for Jesus’ help was an overwhelming one. Do you ever minimize or downplay your need for Jesus because your issues aren’t as obvious as they are for someone else?
- The townspeople requested that Jesus depart from them because they were afraid. They were more comfortable with evil forces that take human beings captive than they were with the One who could expel those forces. In what ways does our culture prefer wickedness over Jesus’ power that can drive out that wickedness?
- Jesus denied this man’s request to become a literal follower of his because he instead called him to tell his story to those in his home town. Do you have a story about what Jesus has done for you? Who is he calling you to tell it to?
- Read Matthew 16:13-20, paying close attention to verse 18. According to this verse, is Jesus saying the church should be in a defensive or offensive position (particularly when it comes to partnering with him in mission)?
About the Speaker
Mark Erickson has served as the associate pastor of Bear Creek Community Church in Woodinville for the past 9 years. He’s madly in love with his wife, Katy, and is crazy about his three fantastic kids – whom he is still able to beat in wrestling matches most of the time. He is currently in the process of completing his dissertation in the Doctor of Ministry program at Western Seminary and pays way too close of attention to his fantasy baseball and football teams.