There are 400,000 churches in the United States. 80% of those churches are considered stagnant, and 3,500 close their door each year.
So why is that so many churches fail? In this sermon by guest pastor Jonathan Wolfgang, you’ll learn why so many people have forgotten the core mission of the church… to reach out to those in our communities who are not receiving the Good News of Jesus Christ.
In 2 Kings 6:25-7:16, we are presented with a story of the Israelites under siege. People have reached absolutele desparation within the walls of the city. Four lepers outside the city gate decide to turn surrender themselves to the Aramean army instead of facing certain death from starvation, but when they arrive in the enemy camp they find it deserted and begin feasting and hoarding all of the treasure for themselves.
This runs analogous to our own lives. Often as Christians, we see the Good News of God and hoard it by creating closed church communities. We think that church is “all about us” instead of being for the world.
So, who do you know that is struggling to figure out what life is about? Are you sharing God’s treasure? Be ready to tell people how God is working on your heart and in your life.
Recorded Sermon on Why Churches Fail
We you to listen to this 35 minute sermon on how churches forget their purpose and fail. You can download the audio podcast or watch the video below.
Imprint Church has a number of small Christian Community groups that meet near Woodinville, WA. Here are the discussion questions for our Generosity Groups.
- Read 2 Kings 6-7
- Share the story of a ris you’re glad you took in your life. What did you learn from the experience?
- What habits have helped you remain passionate about your relationship with Jesus? What advice would you give someone whose passion for Jesus has faded?
- How have you seen spiritual consumerism creep into your heart? How can this attitude impact a church?
- What is a risk you believe God is calling you to take right now? What has been keeping you from taking the risk?
- How will you overcome these obstacles? How can your group help?
Imprint Church is a non-denominational Christian church in Woodinville, WA.