Posted on: February 28, 2016
Generosity Group Questions
- Read and discuss Ephesians 4:20-5:2.
- Paul contrasts two types of people in this passage. He calls them the “old self” and the “new self.” What are some characteristics of both the old and new selves? How are they distinguished from each other?
- Overall, these verses seem to have a lot of “rules” for living the Christian life. What are some of these rules? Why did the Apostle Paul give people these rules? It was mentioned on Sunday that this passage emphasizes the things believers are to do as much, if not more, than what believers are not supposed to do! What are some of the things we are to refrain from and what are some of the things we are supposed to do instead? Why is it harder to do the things we are supposed to than not do the things we are not supposed to?
- We talked a lot about anger and bitterness on Sunday. Why is anger such a powerful emotion and attitude? How is it possible to “be angry and…not sin” (vs. 26)? What are some ways people handle anger, bitterness, and/or hurt in their lives? What are healthy ways to deal with these emotions?
- Talk about a good definition of forgiveness. How do we forgive someone who has hurt us? Are we required to forgive someone who is not sorry for the wrongs they have done to us? What can unresolved anger lead to?
- What does unforgiveness do to a person? How can we handle unforgiveness in our lives — and how would Jesus want us to handle it?